Friday, June 14, 2013

Intro

Hello there, this is Me, just another student among the multitudes in India. I just wanted to create this blog to share my feelings, my views and my opinions and of course my stories about the life that i lead here.
It all began on 22nd August 2010, when my dad gave me the news that i was going to pursue BDS in a remote unknown place called Davangere.
At first, i never knew where i was going,  was told that I'm going to Bangalore. Bangalore, as u know, is one of the metros in India, an IT hub as well as an educational hub of south India. Little did  know that my life was about to change, starting from the littlest details to the truly life changing decisions that would shape my future in the years to come.
I reached this place called DAVANGERE, on 22nd August, 2010. The first impression wasn't that great. Two main roads, a drizzling rain, mud all over and surprisingly, lots of people in white aprons all over the place.Oh yes, i forgot to mention the pigs, which at some places, even outnumber the residents. Al said and done, i reached the college. Again unimpressive. Being brought upon mainstream movies showing college campuses having acres acres of green fields, shady trees and huge stadiums, i was visibly disappointed when i saw my college building. A dreary, blocky building with all the pomp and show of an industrial warehouse, it was like a monumental letdown of sorts. That was it, just the building and a parking lot. No lush fields, no stadia, no shady trees, just the building and a parking lot.
Admission process over, we went to the hostel next. A big sign proudly proclaimed "Dental Colleges Boys Hostel" in big black letters, and a driveway bordered by green hedges led inside. At first glance, I WAS impressed. A shiny building, with sentries outside, spick and span in all respects. This was to be my home for the next five years?? Not bad.
I didn't know that there was a surprise waiting for me. As our car turned into the driveway, it drove past that shiny hostel, which beckoned to me with promises of joy within. We drove down to another concrete block, five stories high. This was the "Dental Colleges Boys Hostel", heralded by the sign at the gate. Bad things come in threes, they say, and it rung true in all respects for me. After a meeting with the manager, (not the warden), and signing something called an "Anti Ragging Certificate", i was shown into my room which i would have to share with a roommate who hadn't even arrived. As soon as the door was unlocked, I found two guests inside, flying around, dropping feathers all over and generally making a mess. As soon as the two "guests" had been shown the window, i looked around my humble abode. Humble it surely was. A bed, which looked like it was lifted straight from a hospital, a desk, a chair and a recessed closet. That was all the amenities I had to ensure my existence. Amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment