Saturday, June 15, 2013

Friends, Fun & Facebook

Hola!
Almost a week of classes had gone by, I mean the classes had gone by, whether I had attended all of them or not is another story.Oh, all the dreams that we as well, as our parents had. I bet they had a mental picture of their son going to college everyday, clean shaven, having a perfect conduct record, sitting on the front bench, answering any questions that the professor throws around and earning an admirable smile from their batch-mates. I wish it were as easy in real life.
I tried, I really did, to live up to that image and I did, for one week. Then someone suggested, "Let's bunk class today", and I rose up to the occasion magnificently. Barely, five days of class had gone by, and here we were, me and my new-found pals, chatting the whole night, without a care in the world about what would happen the next day in college. Just imagine, we didn't even know what class there would be the next day, as it would be our first Saturday of the term, but we had already thought, "Bah, this is more important".
We swapped stories, immersed each other in piles of bullshit, and generally had a blast. S and J were room mates, as well as A1 and A2, and i was sharing  my room with another guy. We all stayed in my room that night, all six of us, and had a wager going as to who would nod off first. I boasted that i would outlast them all. I never knew when the Sandman had come to pay me a visit and the next morning, i was treated to pictures of myself with toothpaste on my face. Such was the outcome of my sheer bravado.  
As it was a weekend, the seniors were all idle and suddenly, i found two of them in my room, calling me to come upstairs to their room. I gingerly followed them, unaware of what lay in store. At times like this, my imagination goes into overdrive, and i imagined a roomful of seniors laughing at me as i struggled to croak out a few words. As i knocked on the door, my heart was beating as fast as if i had run a 100m dash. But all my worries were laid to rest when i saw what waited inside for me. All of my pals inside, sitting on the bed, everyone with the same expression on their faces, "What the hell am i doing here?". Presently, two seniors entered, an athletic one who looked as if he was ready to bash in our faces if we even dared to speak, and a young, youthful one who, i kid u not, didn't look at all like a senior.
General bullshit ensued, with each of us being asked a bevy of questions, till we reached the clincher, "Do you have a girlfriend?". As soon as the question was asked, the room took on the aura of The Sistine Chapel, the silence so complete it felt like it was palpable. Suddenly, out of the blue, S blurted out, "I'm already married". Complete turmoil. Half the seniors on the floor, laughing their guts out, and we exchanging a few nervous smiles. God knows what made him say that, but it did reduce the tension quite a bit, and soon we were exchanging jokes and laughing at each other. This continued till lunchtime, till we were herded out of the room and told to tiptoe to our rooms, as being caught by the warden would be like meeting The Grim Reaper. Overall,,,our first experience of the universal term, "Ragging" wasn't so unpleasant.
Remember the girl P? The one who had the guts to say "Personal Choice", in he class? I must admit, i had taken quite a fancy to her(blush blush). Being generally very timid and afraid to approach her directly, i did the next best thing, searched for her in Facebook. Agreed, i was a jerk and a coward and a few other unmentionable names, but at that time it seemed like the logical thing to do. As soon as i did, i found over a hundred P's there. I applied my very limited intellect and zeroed in on the one who was wearing an apron in her profile picture. It goes without saying that she would reject my request, but there was a slight very slight chance that God would come through once again, and she would accept my request. As Imran has so rightfully said in Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, "Insaan ka kartavya hota hai koshish karna, kamyabi, nakamyabi sab uske haath mein hai".
But that's part of another story, you wouldn't want me to spill all my secrets at once, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment